Middleton St Mary's Church

Click on any image to display full size version.

The Anglican Parish church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, is served by Rector Jim Ryan of The Rectory, West Winch, tel. 840835 (along with the neighbouring parishes in the Benefice – of North Runcton and West Winch), and is managed by the Middleton Parochial Church Council. Services are held on most Sunday mornings – and are detailed, along with other community events, on notice-boards and in the Parish Magazine.

The church stands at the village centre, by the junction between the A47 main highway and Station Road, and across the way from School Road and ‘The Crown’ Inn. A church has stood at this site for many centuries – the first recorded vicar served from 1191, but the beginnings date back into Saxon times, perhaps three-hundred years or so before that.


 
 
The building was begun in the 13th Century, and is in the Early English style. The walls and square turreted bell tower are constructed in local carrstone, reinforced with stone quoins at their corners, in the buttresses, door-frames and around the windows. Later modifications were made in the Perpendicular style, including the chancel and the windows and arcade piers in the aisles; and major restorations were made in the 19th Century. The clock on the south side of the tower was installed in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee; in 2008 the clock was repaired, repainted and regilded by the original Derby manufacturers.
Amongst the church’s fine stained-glass are medieval fragments of the de Scales family arms, and two early-20th Century medieval pastiches. Memorials include tablets to Major Everard-Hutton of the 4th Light Dragoons, who survived the ‘Charge of the Light Brigade’ at Balaclava years before, and to his two sons who died in infancy.
     
Memorial to parishioners who died serving in the First World War

The stump of the old Market Cross